Thursday 26 January 2012

My Journey Into Beading....

My journey into beading has been up and down.  I watched my sister string a necklace one day and thought "I'd love to do that".  Not seeing myself as creative in any way, I asked her to show me how to do it.  The words, tigertail, crimps, flat nose pliers etc were alien to me.  I was all fingers and thumbs but after ruining a number of crimps and tigertail lengths I finally got it!  I had an illusion necklace in front of me and was beaming from ear to ear.  


Not having the money and, I suppose the knowhow,  I haunted the op shops looking for old necklaces I could pull apart, another suggestion from my sister.  I found it impossible to walk passed an oppie without going in and checking out their beadie wares.  Soon, however, I needed more.  


Totally obsessed by this stage I found a wonderful site www.beadingforum.com.au
It opened up a whole new beading world.  I suddenly realised that stringing was not the only thing I could do with beads.  I could weave them too.  With a lot of help and advice from fellow beaders I launched down a new path and into another world.  The world of seed beads!  I am still totally obsessed with them.  Next came crystals.  Such beautiful sparkly little things.  I can't live without them.


I have since dabbled in wirework and polymer clay but my heart will always lie with beadweaving.
Over the last 7 years the bead and I have become one.


Thank goodness I have a patient husband although sometimes I think he must tear his hear out with my obsession. 

No comments:

Post a Comment